This website contains information about the technology resources available for Language Center instructors. It is maintained by the VPTL Associate Director for the Language Center Ken Romeo (kenro at stanford dot edu). If you don't find what you are looking for, please see What about ...?
Assessment: LC, CourseWork, SOPIs
- Stanford Language Center - The Language Center website has links to staff information, test schedules and test results.
- Digital Language Lab - On the first floor of Lathrop Library. Classrooms, open space for Language Center assessments, orientations, events, etc.
- Placement Test Resources - Resources related to summer and fall foreign language and EFS placement testing.
- Course Testing - Information for creating and scheduling midterms, finals, and other summative assessments for Language Center courses.
- SOPI - The SOPI website has information about the Simulated Oral Proficiency Interviews given at the end of every academic year, including schedules and instructions for instructors and staff.
- WPA - The WPA website has information about the Writing Proficiency Assessment given at the end of every academic year, including schedules and instructions for instructors and staff.
- Canvas Resources - Guides for using Canvas for common tasks in the Language Center: audio / video response, text / file submission, and file return (aka Drop Box replacement).
Desktop and Online Tools
- ScheduleOnce - A meeting scheduling tool, great for office hours signups.
- Zoom Video Conferenceing - Free for all Stanford faculty, staff and students.
- Online Machine Translation Check - An exploration of several online tools, using texts in 12 languages.
- Stanford Sites - Set up your own Drupal website (for individuals). Tutorials available at the User Guide.
- Mid-quarter evaluations - Resources for delivering evaluations online.
- Personal Release Agreements - this is a page in Stanford's Copyright and Fair Use website with a couple sample forms that can be adapted to your specific uses. Each form must be custom created. Examples are the University Communications Speaker Release and the Stanford Library Photo Video Release.
Orientations and Communications
- LC Tech Coffee Meetings - Occasional, informal discussions of new technology for Language Center instructors
- Public / Social Media Online Account Guidelines - For teaching or otherwise using YouTube, Twitter, etc in connection with the Language Center.
- Current Workshop Schedule - A schedule for the current quarter.
- New Instructor Orientation - A list of things (with links) that I usually cover for new instructors.
- Instructor Machine Registration - For both summer/temporary and long-term instructors.
- Media Resources - For movies, documentaries, TV, music, and other media productions.
- Lynda.com - Stanford has a site license for this service, where you can find short tutorials and full courses on a wide range of technology.
- EFS Program Instructional Technology - For summer intensive program instructors
- Technology at the Language Center: Overview - This is the information I usually give to visitors, such as job candidates.
- About this website